Friday 19 March 2010

Round Seven - University - How Long Can This Go On?

Sam Darwin has gone to university, and Miranda King has graduated high school early in order to be with him. They've got something going on, that's for sure, but can two such shy and awkward people actually manage to really, truly get together?



Miranda's got a new look in time for her first semester at university and she feels good - now she's going to be around Sam almost all the time she doesn't want to look too frumpy. She ties back her hair in a way that's cute but low-maintenance and finds some clothes that reflect the nature-loving girl behind her fortune-seeking exterior. She feels great every time she looks in the mirror. It's something she never cared to do much but she's so happy with her life she feels like she deserves a little vanity... She's still shy but she wants to come out of her shell a bit.

Proving she's no wallflower is going to be tough if she only ever talks to Sam, though... but she can't seem to help it. Her heart goes all fluttery whenever she sees him, regardless of what he's doing or what state he's in. On the phone to his parents wearing his pjs or studying and fully dressed, it doesn't matter. They're still not official and he's not completely sure of his feelings. He's got a crush but it's not quite love, not yet. Miranda, on the other hand, is head over heels.

They spend a lot of time together, but when Miranda is in class Sam gets to know his fellow dormies. He's made friends with most of them, including a pretty girl...

"I don't like how much time you're spending with that Melissa chick," mutters Miranda over a game of chess.

"We're just friends. I mean, you're one of my absolute best friends, sure - maybe even THE best - and I think you're gorgeous and clever and amazing. But that doesn't mean I can't talk to other people, right?"

"Whatever." Miranda narrows her eyes and concentrates on her next move. Her hand hovers over the white knight for a moment then she sighs. "I've got a term paper to write. See you later, if you can drag yourself away from Melissa." She spits the name.

Melissa's not out to steal anyone's man. She's a nice girl. So she makes an effort to catch Miranda between assignments and sits down with her in the shared area of the dorm.

"Look, I know you really like Sam. Just so you know... I really don't think of him that way. I'm seeing a guy and it's going pretty well, and I've got to keep up my work. I don't want my grades to slip, I need that 4.0 average if I'm going to get into medicine. Even if I was attracted to Sam, I wouldn't want to wreck things, with my boy, with you, with school, with anything!"

Miranda looks sheepish. "I'm really sorry. I guess I'm just a bit paranoid. I mean, with everything that's gone on with his dad and his brother... I really like him, but I don't know what to do. I know he likes me. He's not a liar."

Melissa smiles. "Trust your instincts."

They end up chatting all evening and Miranda realises she's made her first friend at university. It's a great feeling.

Later on she finds Sam. "I'm sorry for how much of a psycho-bitch I've been lately."

Sam kisses her then holds her hands. "Don't apologise. For my part, I'm sorry I've not been spending enough time with you. Actually, I've been thinking... wanna go steady?"

Miranda giggles. "Of course I do, you big idiot."

The course of true love never did run smooth. After mid-terms their usually calm and study-orientated dorm throws a party and Miranda's little sister Liliana turns up out of the blue. Sam's never really talked to her all that much so he decides, against his introverted nature, to make an effort. She's his girlfriend's sister, and getting to know the in-laws is a necessary evil.

"This is such an awesome party!" Liliana's hyped up and giggly, and Sam suddenly realises she's been drinking. "You've got a keg and everything! Oh my god, I totally cannot wait until I can go to university and get out of my family's crazy house. You're so lucky! You get to be all independent and stuff."

"That's true in some ways," says Sam hesitantly. "But it's not all fun and games. You've got to work pretty hard if you expect to get anything near good grades..."

It's obvious that Liliana isn't really paying attention - she's looking at Sam in a dazed sort of a way, like she's only just seen him. "Y'know... you're really handsome." Liliana stumbles a little as she says it and falls into him, but she doesn't jump away, she clings on instead. Sam begins to panic.

"Woah. Um. This is really awkward. I think you've had a bit too much to drink... I'm going to call you a cab, okay?"

"Awwww, I don't wanna..." But then she nearly falls over and Sam wanders over to the phone, rolling his eyes. His girlfriend's little sister hitting on him is something that, unsurprisingly, really weirds him out. At least it proves he's not like Tom - he'd probably jump at the chance.

When Lee wakes up the next morning he feels awful, and he only had one drink! He meant to start studying for the next semester but instead he stands around in his pajamas, joining in a game of darts with one of his dormie friends.

"That little teen girl was all over you last night. I thought you were going out with Miranda?"

"I am." Sam sighs. "That's her little sister."

"Seriously? Man, I've gotta get me some of whatever pulling power you're packing. I haven't seen that much action all term!"

"But I don't want any of this! I just want Miranda! What should I do?"

His friend shrugs. "Don't ask me. Girls are crazy."

Liliana keeps calling, though, and he can't ignore her forever. He agrees to meet up with her on campus. This is a situation that needs sorting out before it gets messy, and he's too much of a stand-up guy to have that kind of a conversation over the phone. He waits in the Student Union lounge and eventually Liliana arrives, marching in purposefully with a swing in her step. She's very pretty. Sam can see lecherous guys drooling over her, and it inspires some level of protectiveness in him but not in a jealous way. He mostly thinks about his own little sister, Maya, and wishes he could be around for her more often...

"Hey!" Liliana grins. "Are you going to buy me a drink? I totally need a beer."

"No more alcohol for you. I'll get you a coffee."

The coffee shop in the S.U. is upstairs, but don't make it in - Liliana stops him on the landing and tries to kiss him. Their lips meet and Sam doesn't know how to stop her but then their noses bump and he pulls away sharply.

He stares at her blankly for a while then regains control of his vocal chords. "What the hell, Lili?! What was that about? I'm dating your sister. I love your sister. This is just weird. I don't want this. You're fourteen!"

Liliana looks hurt, pouting and making big ol' puppy-dog eyes at him. "Then why did you invite me here?"

"Because you deserve to get this conversation face-to-face, not over the phone. You're a really nice girl and I don't want to be the boy that screws you up."

"I guess. I mean, my mom'd be so mad at me if she knew I was here with you anyway. She'd probably hate me forever."

"I'm not surprised. You don't want that. You don't want your sister to hate you either, do you?"

Liliana pouts again. She looks even younger than she is when she does that. "No."

There's an awkward silence.

"This is my cue to go home, isn't it?"

Sam nods, not unkindly. "Yep. I bet you're out past your curfew, too." She blushes at the accusation then goes, too embarrassed to go through the motions of a polite goodbye.

Liliana doesn't call again, doesn't even send him emails, and sophomore year ends without a hitch. Lee celebrates their passing grades by kissing Miranda, full of endorphins and happiness.

In fact, he's so caught up in the moment he asks Miranda to marry him. She stares at him obliviously for a moment and his heart is in his throat.

"This isn't a joke, right?" She looks scared and Sam doesn't know whether it's because she thinks he doesn't mean it or because she thinks he does but he goes ahead and says it.

"Of course not! I love you!"

She grins, shouts "YES!" and leaps into his arms. She loves him and he loves her, heart and soul, and now Liliana's stopped calling him he knows things are going to be perfect.


Note: The Liliana thing... she had a flirt want for him and the first kiss want, and he had social ones for her so I let them talk and go on an outing, but he didn't even get a crush flag for her out of it, even after her successful flirts. He really is in love with Miranda although it took him a lot longer than it took her!

2 comments:

  1. This was a long post. I'm glad the little sister didn't ruin things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the Uni posts always are! I was tempted to split it into two parts but I could find the right cliffhanger ;)

    ReplyDelete