Tuesday 9 March 2010

Round Seven - Bhalli - 1 + 1 = 3

Newly-weds Solveig and Jace are alone in the Bhalli household after Jace's mother, stepfather and half-brother moved out, but are expecting their first child. Jace is ecstatic and looking forward to having a big family all of his own, but career-focused Solveig is a little more apprehensive... Jace isn't the one who's got to carry the babies and take maternity leave!



SOLVEIG:
It's been a crazy year or so. When it got to the end of my pregnancy I couldn't wait to push the damn thing out - the days hanging around feeling all swollen up like a grapefruit on q-tip legs were driving me slowly and possibly irrevocably insane. Thankfully I had Jace to save me from that particular fate. He took time off work at the police force to give me a bit of company and I appreciated it more than I could ever figure out how to say.



Going into labour was terrifying. I'd been napping all evening and Jace was cooking dinner when it started. He had to cart me off to hospital in my pyjamas and I think I have smacked him in the face at one point during the whole messy business.



But every moment of pain was worth it when we brought our little girl home. We named her Victoria; she looked a lot like me, but with black hair like her grandma Alima.



I didn't use a lot of my maternity leave but I did my bit and I didn't resent it. She was perfect, even when she was barfing on me.



Of course, Jace wasn't happy with one. I'd known that from the start about him and when he started talking about trying again I had to chide him gently for it. It was difficult to say no to him, grab his hand when he got flirty, but even though I do want more kids it's really not the time. My internship is over and I've got to get my nose back on that grindstone if I ever want to get to surgery!


Victoria's a toddler now. We've dressed her up in her little frocks and done her hair in bows so many times now but she's always pulling the bows out and wriggling out of her dress! We've got a tomboy on our hands, that's for sure…

Note: Victoria's a cutie but she's got all the personality points of a future rebel! I foresee many noogies when she gets a sibling - it's going to be when, Jace has the want and Solveig doesn't actually have a fear for having more children so Try For Baby and no BC is still on.

1 comment:

  1. I am now caught up :) I like the Alima and Duncan relationship. That harvey guy is a douche! :)

    ReplyDelete